Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Azaela Festival at The National Arboretum

So I have decided to diversify my blog a bit and include other topics besides just random stories. This is the beginning of such posts. So one topic that I am going to do from time to time is different locations that I recommend. Usually these will be in the greater DC area, so those of you that don't live here will be able to see some of the sites without having to pay the enormous cost of an airline ticket. For those readers that do live in the DC area, I hope I will introduce you to at least a few places that you may have not been before.Thus we begin with the National Arboretum. The National Aboretum was established in 1927 by an act of Congress. The Arboretum sprawls over 446 acres and includes 9.5 miles of winding roadways. For more information about the arboretum, please visit http://www.usna.usda.gov/. Washington is well known worldwide for its annual Cherry Blossom festival, however, a bit less well known, but just as beautiful is the Azaela Festival at the Arboretum. Below I have included a few pictures of this year's blooms.






















Also, during the same time of year the dogwoods are in bloom. Dogwood is a favorite in Virginia as it is both our state flower as well as our state tree (props to Jill for educating me on this).












1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Wow. Beautiful pictures.